Early 19th century
Silver. Cast, embossed, engraved, gold-gilded.
This Torah shield is traditionally decorated with columns, tablets comprising ten God's commandments, frames or stynzea leaves and a crown. The composition featuring two cows to support the tablets, are of a special interest, since it is unknown to be used in other ritual objects. The item's decoration also includes the colored glass-inlays (lost), many flowers, leaves and grapes. At the top is an open-worked crown, below a basket with flowers and fruits. Acanthus leaves are laid along the shield's edge. The Torah shield bears an inscription in Hebrew reading that this object was manufactured in 1805 being the property of the Holy Community of Lokhvits.