Early 19th century
Silver. Cast, embossed, engraved.
This octagonal Torah shield with a chain for suspension has an uncommon pictorial composition. In the center is a relief bull masterly made by embossing. The bull is flawlessly detailed and looks exclusively naturalistic against the grass-covered hills. Above, is an inscription in Hebrew reading that this object was manufactured in 1848 for the Holy Community of Zhytomyr. The Torah shield also bears the master's brand "ØËÏ"